Friday, May 21, 2010

What Happens When Capitalism Doesn't Even Bother to Hide Its Disdain for You


Yes, "Buy 3 for the Price of 3." Kwik-E-Mart has, in the words of the probably-not-so-immortal Ricky Ricardo, some splainin' to do. Comrade X stared at this sign in wonder for probably a full minute, trying to figure out if he'd missed something. Yes, that's how much of a grip capitalism has even on him! 3 for the price of 3? Do they mean 3 things for the price of three OTHER, less expensive things? 3 for the price of 3 WHAT, exactly? Or perhaps they put that banner up because:

1. They contracted out to an advertising agency that hates them and wants to make them appear stupid (as if the name "Kwik-E-Mart" didn't do that already).

2. Banner manufacturers don't get the finer points of capitalist price competition.

3. The owners of Kwik-E-Mart recently had brain surgery which didn't go so well.

4. It's some kind of high school prank (personally, Comrade X hopes that this is the real reason).

5. Perhaps "3" is the name of a product and you can buy three of something else for the price of the product named "3." (Yes, I realize that this is really a stretch.)

6. Umm ...

7. Oh, I've got it! I hallucinated the entire thing!

3 for the price of 3. Oh, that's a "special deal," alright.

Fucking hell! What kind of world do we live in, my Comrades? Exactly -- a retarded one.

9 comments:

  1. # 5 is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Commrade X,

    It did EXACTLY what it was designed to do...it made you look at the damn thing for a whole minute. And think about it. And think about it some more. And now you are writing about it, still give your metal energy to it. It is a memetic virus....you need a vaccine. long intensive meditation tends to work...but it takes years. I suggest some more of that meth laced vodka....

    Le F

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok. It says "Kwik-W-Mart." Hell-o?!? That is the name of the store from "The Simpsons." Did nobody else get that? Even the font is from the show. Sheesh. I am drunk and I even got that. It is certainly something that Apu would create for a sign, making his customers think they were getting a deal but in fact, weren't.

    I am amused that Comrade Le F has to give something "metal energy." Sorry. Again, I must give the caveat that I am inebriated.

    -E

    ReplyDelete
  4. Commrade E,

    I think I ment to say "mental energy"....I'm drunk on meth laced vodka most of the time, so my typing skills are crap....

    Le F

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought maybe it was in honor of Dio's death... You know, that metal energy... Much better than that vegetable energy. ; )

    -E

    ReplyDelete
  6. Y --

    See a doctor. You might have emphysema.

    -- X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dio was nothign if not pure unadulterated METAL ENERGY. and now he has gone to that great transcendtal mosh pit in the sky.

    I cried for days.

    Le F

    ReplyDelete
  8. Le faque

    So glad X has a friend with worse typos than I. You can incur most of the wrath.
    Thanks!
    y

    ReplyDelete