Sunday, April 25, 2010

Another poor product name choice.

This one is a bit obvious, but Comrade X likes imagining the conversations between the morons like those at 1 Snack Food Lane (that's a real address?!) who get paid ridiculous amounts of money to come up with these things. I'm sure it went something like this:

"So we got Slim Jims to compete against -- how are we gonna do this?"
"Well, they make it sound like a diet product, so how about going in the opposite direction?"
"Well, that could be risky ... "
"No, really, it's the Super Size thing! More is better! How about, 'Giant Meat Chunk'?"
"Nah, sounds like vomit."
"Umm, then, we could ... I don't know ... how about 'Huge Beef Wiener'?"
"No, I don't know ... but I like the Freudian angle. Can we work that up?"
"'Massive Meat Phallic Symbol'?"
"Too obvious."
"'Large Meat Boner'?"
"Umm ... "
"'Meat Boner. Super Size.'"
"Nah, reminds me of that documentary ... "
"'Meat Boner. Fun Size.'"
"Yeah, no."
"Hmm. Oh, I got it! 'Massive Meat Erection'!"
"I think it's the size issue that bothers me. I like what you said about Slim Jims -- let's go with the diet angle. Make it little."
"'Little Meat Erection'?"
"Oh god no! You want to bankrupt us? Consider our audience!"
"What if we make it kind of jokey?"
"Such as?"
"'Little Meat Chubby.'"
"Good, but shorter."
"'Lil' Chub'?"
"THAT'S IT!"

Yeah, brilliant. But then you turn it over and see this:





That's when the "Jack Link's" part of the brand name becomes so ironic. Looks like a shrink-wrapped turd. Disgusting. And yet people still eat them. Go figure.

4 comments:

  1. Ah, yes. Reminiscent of all the men I have met in the past year. I find it amusing that the powers that be made a product to memorialize this lack of....

    -E

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen a brand called "Tiajuana Hot Mamma".

    Le F

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to work in advertising... I know, I know. It was for the money, I swear. New York City was/is expensive, and I had to make ends meet. All I can say is that there are few things more absurd than a bunch of overly-paid white people sitting around trying to come up with names for products. I even came up with a few (lowly proofreader that I was, even I was tapped from time to time to "help out") names, and each time, I was outvoted. Bah. can you feel the bitterness?

    -E

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad you cant still be there and be our mole.
    Y

    ReplyDelete